March 4, 2008

All Curves Are Not The Same

Today I was reminded that all Curves for Women are not the same and why Curves in Dearborn is so special. My day started at a doctors's appointment with a physician who is dramatically overweight; she is 5 feet tall and weighs 350lbs. I hadn't seen her in a year and a half and immediately when she walked in I mentioned how good she looked and asked if she had lost weight.

She stood there half shocked and half beaming, her smile said it all. She had lost 50 lbs since January and no one had noticed and she didn't understand how I knew. I was secretly pleased to know that the sixth sense that I have developed from working in women's weight loss had recognized her success, something she wasn't yet giving herself credit for.

Immediately I started talking about my personal experience at Curves working with over 1,000 women who were losing weight and changing their lives. I encouraged her to celebrate this victory and she naturally proceeded to share her story with me. I was moved when it was almost 30 minutes later and I realized this busy doctor was spending her valuable time with me counseling her on weight loss and managment.

In the end she thanked me and said she wished she could join my Curves in Dearborn. When I suggested she join Curves in Las Vegas she sighed and said she had already visited two locations and they were nothing like what I had talked about. Unfortunatley I had been to these locations and I knew she was right.

I was devasted for two reasons. Had this doctor been able to come to Curves in Dearborn I know we would have contributed greatly to her success. And in turn imagine all the other women patients she would have been able to help.

This experience reminded why I work so diligently with my staff at Curves in Dearborn to ensure that above all else, EVERY woman feels comfortable and encouraged at Curves. And more importantly it humbled me because I know how hard the staff really does work due to our members who make sure to tell me how much they appreciate my Curves Dearborn staff. I take great pride in this as an owner especially since I am 2000 miles away.

So in the end I guess this post is to say THANKS to my staff, for being part of the Curves Dearborn family and for making all the difference. Stay tuned for more to come on the great TEAM at Curves Dearborn!
~Gail

No comments: